October 2, 2017
October already! Who can imagine that we have already completed the first month at school? We have had a very busy month with school clubs and teams starting up along with classes getting into the swing of things. Here are the teams and clubs that are up and running:
- Invermay SRC – Mr. Nathan Hrynchyshyn. Attended the Student Leadership Conference is Tisdale Sept. 20-22. The SRC will be heading up the Magazine Campaign again this year.
- Cross Country Running – Mrs. Dalice Neslon. There are 11 runners this year. Students attending the Saltcoats Cross Country Meet on Fri. Sept. 29. Results include: Taelynn Maier 51/113, April Grychowksi 29/112, Kaydence Quennell 59/112, Jake Soltys 24/103, Jesse Grychowski 35/71, Emily Koturbash 48/70, Cole Serron 9/27, Danika Soltys 6/19, Trinity Fidek 15/19, Jade Fidek 4/7 and Brayden Serron 2/3 runners. It was a good day!
- Sr. Girls Volleyball – Mrs. Tracey Fey and Mr. Gene Hilario. The team is a coop of Invermay and Sturgis Sr. Girls. They have attended tournaments in Nipawin, Lumsden, Regina Luther College as well as hosting their home tournament on Sept. 15 & 16. Their next tournament is Oct. 13/14 in Rose Valley.
- Jr. Girls Volleyball – Ms. Brenda Carbno and Mrs. Melissa Grona. The Jr. Girls Volleyball team attended their first tournament in Canora Sept. 29-30 and will be hosting their home tournament on Oct. 14.
- Jr. Boys Volleyball – Miss Karlie Kowalchuk. The Jr. Boys Volleyball team began practicing and are gearing up for their first game on Oct. 2.
- Invermay SADD – Mrs. Jennifer Currah. The SADD group has been fundraising to attend the annual SADD conference in Saskatoon on Oct. 20-22.
- Invermay SCC – After School Klub added colour to the rock garden near the Elementary doors with a "Kindness Rocks" activity.
We had amazing weather for the annual Terry Fox Run on Friday, Sept. 29. I would like to thank all of those who donated to the run. Total donations including $500 from the staff dressing down on Fridays include $1336.00! Way to go!
Everyone enjoys a warm lunch and it takes time to provide that warm lunch. We are again asking for parent and community volunteers to warm lunches from 11:45 – 11:55 daily. Please contact the school or message us on Facebook if you can warm up lunches on a particular date. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
October is the month for celebrating education. We celebrate World Teacher's Day on Oct. 5 and Education Week during the third week of October. Education Week 2017 runs from Oct. 15 – 21 following the theme "Building our Future by Learning Together". We have reached out to Andrew Quewezance, GSSD's Cultural Advocate and Shelwyn House to visit our school. Mrs. Marie Grychowski is again hosting the Book Fair in our Library for the week and the SADD group will be holding Italian Night in the gym on Wednesday, Oct. 18. If you have a talent that you would like to share or ideas for a presentation, please contact me at the school.